Protests for September 2


The nightly demonstration in Portland began at Woodstock Park. Estimates by journalists on the ground put the numbers there around 100 people. Unfortunately, before a march or any type of event could begin, there was a lot of debate within the group about where the protesters should go. This infighting lasted for almost an hour. Even after consensus was reached, one small group of individuals appeared to continue trying to move everyone to a different location that the whole group hadn’t agreed on. Eventually the crowd split, some went home, others moved to a new location at Alberta Park, and others still, namely many press and legal observers, remained at Woodstock Park.

Those that moved to Alberta Park managed to draw another crowd of about 100 people, who began marching to The Portland Police Bureau’s (PPB) north precinct by around 10:30 pm. Once there, protesters chanted and played music in front of the precinct. By 1 am, with no appearance by PPB yet, a crowd that had dwindled down to about 20 people, and many press members leaving the area, it looked like the night was ready to end. However at around 1:30 am, PPB made their first appearance of the night to clear some barricades that had been put in the road. Soon after they also made arrests of a few members of the very small group of protesters. By 2 am the night ended without any further incident.

Scheduled Events


Protesters gathered at Woodstock Park for the nightly demonstration.

The group appeared to struggle to come to consensus about what the night’s demonstration would look like.

One journalist had a succinct question for the night’s demonstration:

Even after consensus was reached, a small group of organizers appeared to continue arguing about the plan.

Some protesters decided on changing the location of the demonstration to Alberta Park.

A number of press members decided that they would not be covering the night’s protest after all.

The protesters that broke off from Woodstock Park began the protest of the night around 10:30 pm in North Portland.

At about 11:15 pm, protesters arrived at The Portland Police Bureau’s (PPB) North Precinct.

Some press members that had previously decided to remain at Woodstock Park eventually made their way to the North Precinct.

A group called Portland Protest Bureau, who had urged protesters to move to Alberta Park back at Woodstock Park earlier in the night, spoke to a mainstream media journalist near the protest site.

After finishing with their interview, members of Portland Protest Bureau left the demonstration.

Far-right public figure Brandon Farley, seen below, made an appearance at the demonstration.

A note on The Portland Protest Bureau’s interview:




The Columbian

Portland chief: Violent protests come ‘at increased cost’

The Daily Beast

Oregon’s ‘Unified’ Plan to End Portland Unrest Isn’t Unified at All


‘Deafening silence’: Former Portland police chief condemns inaction from city council on nightly violence

OSP troopers have been deputized by the federal government. Here’s what that means


Court date pushed back for Portland protest assault suspect

The New York Times

Trump Moves to Cut Federal Funding From Democratic Cities


‘Failed system … failed leadership’: 3 resign from Portland’s police oversight board in 24 hours

Injured protest medic waited for medical treatment after being tackled, punched by Portland police

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler finds himself politically squeezed by months of protests

The Oregonian

Feds start leveling rare civil disorder charges against demonstrators for alleged violence at Portland protests

Medics must comply with lawful police orders to disperse during protests, judge rules

Oregon State Police deputized by feds; unclear how many will assist with Portland protests

Trump orders review of federal funding to Portland, other ‘anarchist’ cities

Portland Mercury

Good Afternoon, News: Chief Lovell Comments on Punchy Cops, Violent Trumper Sued, and the Return of Baby Yoda

Willamette Week

Eric Ward Feared Someone Would Be Killed in Portland’s Street Battles. He’s More Worried by What’s Next.

Federal Prosecutors Say Portland Man Rammed His SUV Into Car of Uniformed Officers on Interstate 84


Agencies Present

  • Portland Police Bureau






Disorderly Conduct II, Interfering with a Peace Officer