On Tuesday night, a late-announced direct action march at Alberta Park failed to attract many protesters. After waiting until 10 PM for numbers to increase, the group voted to relocate to the Justice Center downtown, though many seem to have decided to call it a night instead. There were widespread concerns about safety, given calls for retaliation for Saturday’s shooting, national attention on the protests again, and the large number of recent arrests. The night ended with no interactions with law enforcement.
- Snack Bloc Movie Night – 7 PM at Da Vinci Middle School
- Alberta Park – 8:30 PM
Protesters are gathering at Alberta Park this evening for a direct action march. There’s a lot of potential attention on this gathering, between the shooting on Saturday and last night’s brutal assaults by Portland police officers.
This person, who is definitely not a cop, has been hanging out at this very normal minivan for as long as I’ve been here— Laura Jedeed (Misanthrophile) (@1misanthrophile) September 2, 2020
Extremely inconspicuous pic.twitter.com/CcRLYmw5ow
Waiting for some more folks before making a decision— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) September 2, 2020
This was announced fairly last minute and not through the usual groups, so it may be low turn-out. The people lurking earlier are also a concern.
The tiny protest discusses whether or not to march. People feel unsafe. Everyone feels wrong here— Laura Jedeed (Misanthrophile) (@1misanthrophile) September 2, 2020
It is harder than usual not to weigh in
A decision has been reached and I think it’s the right one. The protest will move to a different location. With a group this small it’s hard to know if that’s gonna happen, but stay tuned…— Laura Jedeed (Misanthrophile) (@1misanthrophile) September 2, 2020
Protesters decided to move to the Justice Center instead, after concerns about the size of the group and safety issues.
Just arrived at ijc… unsure what to expect tonight really— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) September 2, 2020
The night ended uneventfully, with only small groups of protesters remaining downtown.
- Alissa @R3volutionDaddy – CashApp: $pdxalissa / Venmo: @R3volutionDaddy
- Justin Yau @PDocumentarians – CashApp: $portlandindepend / PayPal: https://paypal.me/portlandindepend
- Laura Jedeed (Misanthrophile) – CashApp/Venmo: misanthrophile
OSP troopers federally deputized amid renewed Portland protest response
The New York Times
As Guns Get Drawn at Protest Sites, Demonstrators Fear a Volatile New Phase
The New Yorker
The Inevitable Tragedy of a Summer on Edge in Portland
- DHS pushes Portland mayor to take help from federal law enforcement to police protests
- Police violence at Monday protest in front of Portland mayor’s condo under investigation
- Trump says ‘Portland has been burning for decades,’ excuses supporters who fired paintballs at counterprotesters
- Man under investigation in fatal shooting of Patriot Prayer supporter wounded in July after trying to grab gun from stranger
[NOTE: This article contains details about a person who has not been charged with a crime in Saturday’s shooting.]
- Pro-Trump supporter who shot paintballs into downtown Portland crowd is sued for $250,000
- Portland police chief challenges elected leaders to ’draw line in sand’; mayor condemns ’senseless violence’
- Portland mayor says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespread calls for change
- Portland protests quiet Tuesday as demonstrations, response remain in spotlight