Tonight’s demonstration took place at the ICE facility in Southwest Portland. Demonstrators gathered at the usual meeting place for ICE protests: Elizabeth Caruthers Park. From there the small group of protesters marched to the ICE facility, where they remained only briefly before continuing to march around the block to the sound of Homeland Security (DHS) officers making an announcement over their loudspeaker. Upon their re-arrival to the facility, the protest was met with yet another announcement that the facility was closed and to stay off the grounds. Officers then made their first appearance outside of the building for the night and arrested a protester that had walked up the driveway. After the arrest they re-entered the building.
When officers emerged a second time, they began deploying munitions towards protesters, including tear gas and impact munitions, and pushed protesters out of the area. For the next few hours officers continued flooding the area with tear gas and multiple arrests were made, two of whom were taken off in ambulances towards the end of the night, one in a neck brace. By about 2 am, with less than 10 protesters left in the area and having endured being gassed and shot at for hours, the demonstration had ended.
- March to ICE – 11 pm
Protesters gather at Elizabeth Caruthers Park near the ICE facility for the night’s demonstration.
Posted with permission: I’m at Elizabeth Caruthers. There might (allegedly) be a tank. In Minecraft. pic.twitter.com/MkeRaroX1H— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
OUR TANK— Booker T. Marx-Snowden ?? (@MacSmiff) October 29, 2020
(Driven by Richard) pic.twitter.com/yIaYGuLOvm
Speeches begin. Bam Bam and Rambo are speaking. They remind the crowd of the 545 children missing their parents, and the mass sterilizations.— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
Around 11:40 pm, protesters arrive at the ICE facility.
Second LRAD warning. Been here 30 seconds. pic.twitter.com/ZO3PWJUMRz— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
At about 11:50 pm, protesters begin marching away from the ICE facility.
We’re following fed orders and marching pic.twitter.com/Vsd2t5WW8w— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
5-8 pigs just came out and they looked like cartoon characters. The protesters marched away a long time ago. DHS sucks at this game. They just fed all the live stream audience.— Cozca Itzpapalotl (@KohzKah) October 29, 2020
"What's outrageous? Kids in cages!" pic.twitter.com/StzXS6oPWO— Booker T. Marx-Snowden ?? (@MacSmiff) October 29, 2020
After a march around the area, protesters return to the ICE facility just after midnight.
DHS lol pic.twitter.com/G5ZE96aodm— Cozca Itzpapalotl (@KohzKah) October 29, 2020
Crowd had returned. LRAD screams like a petulant child.— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
Homeland Security (DHS) officers make an appearance outside the facility.
Continuous calls to continue marching. Crowd does not seem into the idea.— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
Just before 12:30 am, federal officers reemerge from the ICE facility and begin firing tear gas at protesters and press.
Portland protest day 135 pic.twitter.com/RumlVlYHZ0— Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 29, 2020
Teargas and Stun Grenades in Portland streets. I’ve been shot in the leg with either a rubber bullet or canister. #PortlandProtests #portland #AbolishICE #ICE #BlackLivesMatter #antifa pic.twitter.com/12rfffXjdU— Garrison Davis (@hungrybowtie) October 29, 2020
Feds use tear gas on protestors outside an ICE facility in south Portland pic.twitter.com/73BxihCKhl— Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 29, 2020
Lots of tear gas creeping into the neighborhood pic.twitter.com/gR6PA9bWXu— Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 29, 2020
The Feds charge forward, throwing stun grenades along the way. One grenade makes to turn off my phone by accident. #PortlandProtests #portland #AbolishICE #ICE #BlackLivesMatter #antifa pic.twitter.com/ezaofWfzJl— Garrison Davis (@hungrybowtie) October 29, 2020
Federal officers begin retreating back towards the ICE facility just after 1 am, but not before deploying more munitions towards protesters.
Protesters also return to the ICE facility.
After tear gassing: federal protective service warning vs protestors dancing pic.twitter.com/JC7vzf8JVW— Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 29, 2020
The ambulance pulls out of the ICE facility, a male protester was loaded inside, wearing a neck brace. #PortlandProtests #portland #AbolishICE #ICE #BlackLivesMatter #antifa pic.twitter.com/jmIr7iLw1g— Garrison Davis (@hungrybowtie) October 29, 2020
Two ambulances have come to ICE so far tonight, one is still inside.— Brian Conley (@BaghdadBrian) October 29, 2020
2/3 arrestees have left in ambulances. pic.twitter.com/cowPh57LPQ— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
Last Dispatch of the night: One last bullrush in an attempt to conduct a targeted arrest. Federal agents withdraw back to the ICE detention facility after empty handed. #PortlandProtest #PDXProtest #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/EpreFKT9Zl— Justin Yau (@PDocumentarians) October 29, 2020
Feds continue firing on a small group of protesters, at most a half dozen including press. Unsure what could possibly justify this assault or the financial expenditure in munitions. pic.twitter.com/TejNwpHSmV— Brian Conley (@BaghdadBrian) October 29, 2020
Goodnight feds pic.twitter.com/VC8stiPNd7— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@Claudio_Report) October 29, 2020
- Bryan Conley @BaghdadBrian – CashApp: $Baghdadbrian / Venmo: baghdadbrian
- Clementson Supriyadi @cdsupriyadi
- Cozca @KohzKah – CashApp: $cozca
- Garrison Davis – CashApp $hungrybowtie / paypal.me/garrisondavispdx
- Justin Yau @PDocumentarians – CashApp: $portlandindepend / PayPal: https://paypal.me/portlandindepend
- Mac Smiff – CashApp: $MacSmiff
- Melissa “Claudio” Lewis – Cashapp: $ClaudioReport / Venmo: Claudio_Report
- Sergio Olmos (OPB)
- Portland City Council poised to vote on further funding cuts to Portland police
- Portland places new restrictions on federally deputized police officers
- Portland State’s Black studies department seeks to help students struggling in the pandemic
- PSU says it will not meet the goal of disarming campus officers this fall
- City Council approves resolution to restrict actions of 56 Portland police deputized as federal officers
- City officials seek to hire a new Portland public safety director under $300,000 funding proposal
- Portland City Council delays vote on proposed $18 million cut to police budget
- Portland police budget again takes center stage as 2 commissioners seek another $18 million cut, mayor wants none
- Readers respond: Police oversight measure is flawed
- ‘If You Attack Us, We Will Kill You’: The Not Fucking Around Coalition Wants to Protect Black Americans
- After Her Grandchild Died During an Encounter With Portland Police, Donna Hayes Penned a Play-Turned-Film
- A Portland Hotel Maintenance Worker Says a Homeland Security Agent Pulled a Gun on Him When He Tried to Fix His Toilet
- The Damage Trump Did
- Department of Homeland Security – Federal Protective Service
- U.S. Marshals
- pepper balls
- stun grenades
- tear gas
- rubber bullets
I am home safe. Maybe tonight I'll be able to sleep…— Booker T. Marx-Snowden ?? (@MacSmiff) October 29, 2020
Some fun moments tonight, some rough moments tonight. Some great conversations, especially around the delayed vote.
Oh yeah! And I found this! pic.twitter.com/W1ERKPT99i
No information from Homeland Security. At least 3 arrests were caught on camera over the course of the night.
No information from Homeland Security.