Tonight’s protest lasted 15 minutes.
The location of the nightly march wasn’t publicly announced beforehand. Regardless, protesters gathered in the evening at Peninsula Park in North Portland. At approximately 10:00 pm, they arrived at the North Precinct to the sounds of the Portland Police loudspeakers already warning against blocking the street. At approximately 10:15 pm, Portland Police officers ran at protesters from behind where they stood in front of the precinct driveway and arrested at least half of the group, in effect ending the protest. There was no declaration of unlawful assembly and no dispersal orders before the mass arrest.
- PCC CLEAR Clinic – Free Oregon Criminal Record Expungement – 1 pm
- MARCH for Justice System Reform and Equity in Education – 2 pm
- PDX CAR Caravan Protest – 2 pm
- Pumpkin Carving and Screen Printing at Red House – 2 pm
- PDX Black Collective Night Market – 6 pm
- Direct Action March (Undisclosed Location) – 8 pm
Early in the day the Nightmare Elk, which has been the longest running replacement for the Elk Statue downtown, was taken from its plinth by members of Patriot Prayer, a local far-right group.
Downtown Portland’s community art project dubbed the “Nightmare Elk” has been stolen by a group of “Patriots.”— Garrison Davis (@hungrybowtie) October 10, 2020
Who pose in front of the statue with the “ok” white power symbol. pic.twitter.com/1AngVsZL1z
As protesters arrive at the North Precinct for the nightly demonstration, Portland Police (PPB) have already begun making announcements to the crowd.
Arriving at the precinct and already seeing riot squads patrolling— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) October 11, 2020
Dj lMad threatening the crowd already— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) October 11, 2020
The march has arrived at their destination. pic.twitter.com/Ww60S6x5Dl— Cascadianphotog Media (@Cascadianphotog) October 11, 2020
Portland protesters make their way to N. Precinct. Police hold the side street.— Speaker uh da House ?? (@MacSmiff) October 11, 2020
Dmitri is back with his new vote sign. pic.twitter.com/GLjrvUE1DM
It’s an objectively sexy af umbrella wall already in formation— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) October 11, 2020
There is a small crowd assembled in front of the North Precinct currently. “No Trump. No KKK. No Fascist USA”#PortlandProtests #PDXProtests #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/NhK8uSgQL1— Justin Yau (@PDocumentarians) October 11, 2020
Around 10:15 pm, protesters are suddenly arrested en masse by police. There has been no declaration of an unlawful assembly at this point.
The entire crowd just got rushed and arrested….— Cascadianphotog Media (@Cascadianphotog) October 11, 2020
Portland Police rush protesters after they’ve been present less than 20 minutes. Brutal arrests and mace use. Unknown amount arrested. Event had not been posted online. pic.twitter.com/6fXGEBKVnb— Melissa “Claudio” Lewis (@PhrenologyPhun) October 11, 2020
This was completely unprovoked I am too upset for words right now pic.twitter.com/dgoxNxJgf5— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) October 11, 2020
After one warning to stay off the streets Portland Police Rapid Response arrived and conducted mass arrests. PPB did not declare an unlawful assembly. #PortlandProtests #PDXProtests #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/CEtKXlrdZs— Justin Yau (@PDocumentarians) October 11, 2020
Cops just arrested EVERYONE. pic.twitter.com/8E7R599PGY— Speaker uh da House ?? (@MacSmiff) October 11, 2020
They didn’t declare an unlawful assembly or anything… they wouldn’t let press anywhere near the mass arrest they were just in the street— Alissa Azar (@R3volutionDaddy) October 11, 2020
I counted 20 arrested. Some arrestees were marked medics. At least half the crowd has been taken. Unclear what the charges are being filed. #PortlandProtests #PDXProtests #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/FjQOAtQnia— Justin Yau (@PDocumentarians) October 11, 2020
The small protest lasted for about 15 minutes before the mass arrest.
Police end the protest by arresting almost everyone. pic.twitter.com/LU2FwxVbah— Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) October 11, 2020
- Alissa Azar @R3volutionDaddy – CashApp: $pdxalissa / Venmo: @R3volutionDaddy
- Jacob Hanning & Melissa Lewis @Cascadianphotog – Cashapp: $cascadianphotog / Venmo: cascadianphotog / paypal.me/Cascadianphotog
- Justin Yau @PDocumentarians – CashApp: $portlandindepend / PayPal: https://paypal.me/portlandindepend
- Mac Smiff – CashApp: $MacSmiff
- PDX NAACP members say president gave improper mayor endorsement
- 26 arrested at protest outside PPB North Precinct
- Court reinstates protections for journalists, legal observers at Portland protests
- Portland NAACP president says the group does not endorse Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler
- Portland Police make blanket arrests minutes after Saturday protest starts
- Black Lives Matter supporters march through North Portland
- Downtown’s ‘nightmare elk’ statue snatched by Patriot Prayer supporter to send ‘political message’
- Portland NAACP president denies endorsing Mayor Ted Wheeler, after pushback from accountability group
- Security guard arrested in fatal shooting at opposing Denver protests
- Members of Patriot Prayer Stole an Elk Statue Erected By Anti-Fascist Protesters In Downtown Portland
- Portland Police Arrest More Than Half the Protesters at a Saturday Night Demonstration
Portland Police Bureau
Interfering with a Peace Officer, Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree, Resisting Arrest, Carrying a Concealed Weapon, Attempted Escape in the Third Degree