Protests for September 26


Portland’s protest community has known about the Proud Boys Rally that took place today for weeks, ever since it was first announced. As has always been the case, this meant that there would be at least one counter-protest in the city. These dueling protests have, in the past, been hot beds of conflict. Many have taken place in the downtown area, where there’s ample room between city buildings for the two opposing groups to face off in the street. Today, however, counter-protesters did not directly confront the Proud Boys and their rally’s attendees. Two different Black Lives Matter rallies took place: one at the Vanport Historical Marker, just a freeway away from the Proud Boys Rally, and one at Peninsula Park, in an entirely different part of town.

By the most liberal of estimates, the Proud Boys Rally at Delta Park had between 200-300 attendees. The first thing some journalists on the scene noticed when arriving was what looked like armed security covering a checkpoint at the entrance to the park. When nearby Portland Police were informed of this by the journalists, the officer said he did not know about the armed guards and would inform the command center. Despite the armed individuals both standing around the perimeter and on the grounds attending the rally, the rally itself was uneventful. Some members gave speeches, but it appeared that for the most part people were standing around chanting and talking amongst themselves. What was eventful, however, were that several members of the press were assaulted by attendees of the rally, some of whom accused them of being “Antifa” and physically made them leave. With only small scuffles here and there and no arrests at Delta Park, by around 2:45 pm the rally had ended and most of the attendees had left.

The rally at Peninsula Park in North Portland began around noon, at the same time as the Proud Boys Rally. At its height the demonstration had between 1,000-1,500 attendees, dwarfing the Proud Boys in comparison. There were different mutual aid and food tables set up around the park, as well as shields for attendees. At the start of the rally, some of the shield makers had reportedly been informed by police nearby that they could not pass out the shields, but they were eventually able to get them to the park and to protesters. Despite a stretch of rain in the middle of the rally, over one thousand community members stood on the lawn of Peninsula Park and listened to speakers and chanted. By around 3 pm the event ended, and some attendees made their way to Irving Park, where another rally had formed.

Before Irving Park, most of the protesters at that event began at the Vanport Historical Mark, where there was a counter-protest near the Proud Boys Rally. This event, which also began around noon, drew around 200-300 protesters who listened to speeches by community members and chanted. Around 1:30 pm the group departed from the park in a car caravan bound for Irving Park. Before they got there the caravan passed Peninsula Park, where the other event was still happening, and circled it, honking their support. When they got to Irving Park, a group that soon comprised of protesters from both counter-protests, listened to more speeches and musical performances. While there was some talk among the Proud Boys of also going to Irving Park, this did not appear to happen.

In the evening, protesters met at a location that was undisclosed by journalists on the ground. As more people arrived and people posted pictures and videos of the event, however, it soon became clear that the location was the Justice Center downtown. Protesters stood in front of the Justice Center listening to speeches for about an hour before police came out around 9:15 pm and began arresting anyone standing in the street. At this point an unlawful assembly had not be declared by any law enforcement agency. What followed for the next few hours was officers indiscriminately shoving protesters with their batons, including press and legal observers, pushing them around the area, and making mass arrests. Many members of the press were assaulted, and at least one bystander, a delivery person on a bicycle, was arrested for being in the area and was not actually involved in the protest. An unlawful assembly was eventually declared after many arrests had already been made. By 2 am, the crowd that started with around 100 – 150 people had been getting pushed around for hours, and the night finally ended.

Scheduled Events


Proud Boys Rally – Delta Park

Right-wing extremist group the Proud Boys gathered in Vancouver before driving into Portland for their rally at Delta Park.

There are reports of armed individuals guarding at least one entrance to the park.

There has been no indication that protesters at Vanport near Delta Park are making any moves towards the Proud Boys Rally. In spite of this, this announcement was made:

Portland Police liaison officers that had been at Vanport earlier in the day were seen at Delta Park with the Proud Boys.

Tension between the attendees of the Proud Boys Rally and members of the press continues:

With protesters from Vanport already on their way to Irving Park, right-wing protesters also say that they’re headed to the same location.

Anti-fascism Rally – Peninsula Park

In North Portland, community members gather at Peninsula Park for their own rally opposing the Proud Boys’ presence in the city.

Portland Police are taking protesters’ shields and arrested at least one person.

A celebrity appearance at Peninsula Park: Cesar the Llama.

Too sweet to not post:

After an over 3 hour long demonstration, protesters begin wrapping up.

Counter-protest – Vanport

Just across the freeway from Delta Park, community members gather at the Vanport Historical Marker for a counter-protest.

Protesters prepare for the car caravan as speeches end.

Evening – “Undisclosed Location”

In the evening, protesters gather at an undisclosed location in Portland.

Around 9:15 pm, police appear and push protesters back for the first time of the evening.

CONTENT WARNING: violent arrest.

Portland police briefly reappear.

Around 11:45 pm, police declare an unlawful assembly.

Richard is a regular at nightly protests and beloved members of the community.

Police exit the area around 1 am.

Around 1:50 am, officers in riot uniforms reemerge on the street.




ABC News

Courthouse News

The Daily Beast

The Guardian



The New York Times


The Oregonian

Portland Mercury

Southern Poverty Law Center

Vice News

The Washington Post

Willamette Week


Agencies Present

  • Portland Police Bureau
  • Oregon State Police


  • smoke grenades
  • mace




Attempted Assaulting a Public Safety Officer, Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree, Resisting Arrest, Harassment, Interfering with a Peace Officer, Riot, Assaulting a Public Safety Officer, Escape in the Third Degree, Aggravated Harassment