Protests for September 23


The announcement of the court ruling in Breonna Taylor’s case ignited protests all over the country tonight. Portland’s response was no different.

The nightly demonstration in the city began at 7 pm downtown. Despite the demonstration slated to take place in a different part of the city initially, the location was changed after the announcement that brought no indictments for the murder of Breonna Taylor. In solidarity with Louisville, the people of Portland gathered in front of the Justice Center downtown, just like they had for the first few months of protests. Estimates from journalists on the ground put numbers around 400 people at its height.

The night began with the bulk of protesters standing at the front of the Justice Center listening to speeches by black activists. Eventually a smaller group splintered off and moved to the back of the Justice Center, where they threw things at an unboarded window above the back door of the building, cracking the window. Two small fires were also set against the building at different points in the night but both quickly put themselves out.

After declaring an unlawful assembly just before 10 pm, officers made their first appearance of the night and pushed protesters a couple blocks west while using impact munitions and tear gas. This confrontation did not last long, and officers quickly retreated back towards the Justice Center. Protesters then returned to the back of the Justice Center.

Half an hour after their first appearance, police officers reemerged on the street and began pushing protesters out of the area again. They weren’t there long before a protester rounded a corner officers were about to pass with an incendiary device, referred to by those on the ground as a Molotov cocktail, and threw it towards officers. The device landed right behind the riot line of officers, appearing to catch one officer’s shoes on fire for a few seconds.

The next few hours consisted of law enforcement officers, a mix of both state and federal officers, dispersing protesters out of the area. The protesters were heavily splintered by the heightened police presence, and one group got pushed all the way to the freeway on the edge of the downtown area, about 15 blocks away from where they started. While protesters were being dispersed, some officers also tasked themselves with destroying the tents of houseless folks living in the area and attempting to disperse them as well.

By 1 am the night ended without any further incident.

Scheduled Events


The nightly demonstration in Portland began at 7 pm in front of the Justice Center downtown.

Protesters stood at the front of the Justice Center chanting and listening to speeches from black activists.

Another group of protesters made their way to the back of the Justice Center.

A silver car reportedly drove through the crowd of protesters at the front of the Justice Center. No one was harmed.

At 9:54 pm, Portland Police (PPB) declared the gathering an unlawful assembly.

About 10 minutes after the unlawful assembly declaration, law enforcement officers made their first appearance on the street while firing tear gas towards protesters.

PPB pushed protesters west to the parks across the street from the Justice Center.

After a brief standoff between police and protesters, officers eventually left the scene.

A fire was started on some wood paneling on the Justice Center, but it quickly put itself out.

At about 10:20 pm, PPB declared the gathering a riot

Protesters set another fire on the Justice Center.

Just after 10:30 pm, officers reemerged on the street.

Some protesters managed to make their way back to the Justice Center before being pushed back by police and federal officers.

A separated group of protesters continued being pushed west to the edge of the downtown area.

The group that had gotten back to the Justice Center were also pushed west.

Officers retreated back towards the Justice Center and federal courthouse, prompting protesters to also make their way back.

There appeared to be a large group of officers in front of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility despite the lack of protesters in the immediate area.

Protesters continued trying to get back to the Justice Center.

Protesters once again managed to return to the Justice Center.

Officers from The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) were seen in the area of the protests.




The Atlantic


The Guardian



The New York Times



The Oregonian


How Portland Became a Nightmare for Democrats

Portland Mercury

Vice News

Willamette Week


Agencies Present

  • Portland Police Bureau
  • Department of Homeland Security – Federal Protective Services
  • U.S. Marshals
  • The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives


  • tear gas
  • smoke grenades
  • pepper balls
  • mace




Harassment, Attempt Murder, Attempt Assault I, Arson I, Possession of a Destructive Device, Resist Arrest, Riot, Interfering with a Police Officer, Unlawful Possession of Methamphetamine, and Disorderly Conduct II, Criminal Mischief I