Protests for October 6


The nightly demonstration for October 6th took place at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility in Southwest Portland. Before marching to the facility, protesters gathered at Elizabeth Caruthers Park nearby. At around 9:45 pm protesters departed from the park and began making the short march to the ICE building. Once there, they were immediately met with federal officers standing behind the front gate of the building, which was closed. Not long after protesters arrived, an unlawful assembly was declared by federal officers, and they announced a warning that protesters had two minutes to vacate the area. Those two minutes passed and then was followed by another 40 minutes of inaction by federal officers until a protester threw a smoke bomb onto the roof of the facility. Officers responded in kind by coming out of the ICE building and filling the street with smoke and tear gas, inadvertently also flooding neighboring apartment buildings with smoke.

After being pushed out several blocks by federal officers, protesters made their way back to the ICE building and were immediately met by federal officers again, who by this point outnumbered protesters. Federal officers, after an extended stand-off with protesters, once again pushed protesters out of the area and, in a seemingly coordinated effort, Portland Police officers suddenly appeared from the back and arrested protesters. After this second push, a small group of around 10 protesters made their way back to the ICE building. A few protesters were detained upon their return, and afterwards police retreated for the night. By 1:45 am, numbers had dwindled significantly and the night ended.

Scheduled Events


In the evening, protesters gather at Elizabeth Caruthers Park.

At about 9:45 pm, protesters leave the park and begin marching.

Just after 9:50 pm, protesters arrive at the Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility.

At about 9:57 pm, federal officers declare the gathering an unlawful assembly.

Around 10:55 pm, federal officers emerge from the ICE building and push protesters out of the area.

Around 11:05 pm, federal officers retreat back to the ICE building.

Around 11:10 pm, Portland Police arrive to the scene.

Protesters, who were pushed out several blocks by heavy tear gas, begin making their way back to the ICE facility.

Federal officers reemerge minutes after protesters arrive back at the ICE facility.

At a neighboring apartment building:

Portland Police suddenly appear and begin making arrests.

A local resident comes out to speak to protesters and police.

While their speaker was confiscated, the “sound person” SoundBloc was not arrested after all.

Around 12:30 am, Portland Police depart after making multiple arrests.




Al Jazeera

The Columbian


The Intercept



The Nation

NBC News

The New York Times


The Oregonian

The Texas Tribune


Willamette Week


Agencies Present

  • Department of Homeland Security – Federal Protective Services
  • Department of Homeland Security – Homeland Security Investigations
  • U.S. Marshals
  • Portland Police Bureau


  • flash bangs
  • tear gas
  • smoke grenades
  • pepper balls




Assaulting a Public Safety Officer, Interfering with a Peace Officer, Disorderly Conduct 
1 Citation: Unlawful Sound Amplification